Atlanta's Theocratic History
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT THE RICH THEOCRATIC HISTORY OF ATLANTA? IT’S ALSO YOUR HISTORY.
In Atlanta, Jehovah’s people are a relatively small part of our unique and remarkable worldwide brotherhood, yet we’ve been blessed with a rich, spiritual history. Early in the 20th century, local brothers and sisters shared the joy of attending conventions in Atlanta.
The brothers and sisters here have endured civil unrest. They helped pioneer advancement in the preaching work, and like you, cherished every moment of their life in Jehovah’s loving family.
Imprisoned For Their Neutrality
Listen to our dear Brother Joe Scibetta as he describes in great detail how members from the Governing Body, including Brother Joseph Rutherford, were imprisoned in Atlanta for their neutrality while still leaving their mark on our Theocratic History.
Meet Sister Huff
Watch Sister Huff tell her encouraging story of how she stood firm and built her relationship with Jehovah against family opposition.
- An Assembly was held in Atlanta on April 4-5 1903. Brother Russell and another brother were speakers. Two local brothers were on the program too, Brother Stevens and Brother Wilbor. Attendance at that meeting was about 100. 19 were baptized. Memorial attendance that year was 22.
- In 1906, there were 25 in attendance at the Memorial.
- Brother Russell spoke in Atlanta on a “Holiday Tour” December 28, 1909. In those days of no television, these events were well advertised public meetings and people would flock to a good speaker. Memorial attendance that year was 42.
- A four day convention in Atlanta was held on September 24-27,1914. World War I broke out in August and according to the Brothers, the end of the Gentile Times were ending October 1st. There were 450 in attendance.
- In 1918, Brother Rutherford and seven associates were put in prison at the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary.
- In 1919, the Brothers were let out of prison, Brother Rutherford and the others stayed at Eugenia’s House. A Group met in her apartment on Georgia Avenue near what is now Turner Baseball Stadium.
- In 1922, a Greek Congregation was formed.
- In 1934, a convention was held in Atlanta. A few weeks later Brother Larson from Bethel arrived to open a Home for Pioneers. A very large house was leased and 20-25 pioneers lived together as a large family. It was also the place for a congregation.
1459 Peachtree Street.
It opened in 1935 and continued for five years.